Thursday 30 July 2015

Week 51 - The News is Out!

I'm assuming those who read this humble blog of ours also know that we are expecting. We are over the moon about this and it has been hard not to include the sordid details of pregnancy in the blog, but now I can! I've been pretty blessed as I have only felt quite ill a couple of times so far. And have only lost my breakfast twice. So not too bad overall.

Monday was our last week at work. It seemed surreal and also exciting. The work day was the same old, and before long, we were heading out the door to visit the doctor. As I don't have an Alberta health card (which makes health care here free) and our medical insurance did not cover us for pregnancy, we paid $125 for 5 minutes of a doctors time. All we wanted was a referral to get an ultrasound. After obtaining that glorious piece of paper, we hurriedly left to grab a bite to eat and then do our food shopping.

Tuesday was another day. I had planned to go to sewing to finish my project, but decided to go the next week, so we had a quiet night in.

Wednesday things got exciting at work. During my summer camp, Lynette (a colleague) turned up quickly turning on the radio. It turned out there were tornado warnings and we needed to evacuate the building. We asked the pizza place downstairs if we could camp out there. They were fine with it. So we hurried downstairs to watch the news and keep the kids calm. They were fine. Me, not so much. When the screen beeped and went red and the words 'WARNING! WARNING!' flashed on the screen, I admit to feeling a little freaked out. To cut a long story short, we avoided the tornado. And I learned that Calgary's weather is even more unpredictable than Auckland's.
After an exciting day, and the kids been sent home early, I walked home (all was fine by then) and had a quiet one.

Thursday was a similar day to Wednesday except there wasn't a tornado warning.

Friday we celebrated the last day of work by having pizza with the kids. I was then gifted items by my colleagues (for the baby) which made me feel all gooey inside. I then made my way home in a daze as the fact we are leaving Canada and heading home really began to sink in. After Pete arrived home, we relaxed for a bit before heading out to Ranchmans (a local pub) for a dinner send off with Pete's work colleagues. Ranchman's was an authentic Calgarian pub with line dancing and a mechanical bull to boot. We had the best time eating, drinking, and watching people attempt the bull. Pete did it and I was super jealous I couldn't. Before too long, we decided to make our way home.

Saturday we decided to make our way to High River where our beloved Heartland is filmed. We found the best cafe and enjoyed a quiet breakfast and an awesome coffee (well Pete enjoyed that, not me). We then took a tour of the town, which is very small before choosing to head home and relax before heading out to church that night.
Church was amazing as we got to share our news with everyone. We were also prayed for as it was our last service before heading home. We had the best time. We then decided to head to an Irish pub for a bite to eat with friends (David and Claire). I was asked if I was the sober driver as I ordered Sprite, to which I replied proudly, "Nope, I'm pregnant!" Time got away with us and before long, we were making our way home.

Pete's 4 shot coffee!

A monument in High River.

Baby cowboy boots!

A uniform in the museum of one of the characters in Heartland.

A place that features in Heartland heaps.
Sunday was a really quiet day. We decided to spend the day packing and sorting out things on our very long to do list. We did pop out for a bit (to head to the library and grab a coffee) before heading home to relax before heading out again to the Clark's for South African pancakes. There we caught up with a bunch of people and had an awesome night socializing and saying good byes as that is the last time we will see some of our good friends.

And thus ends another week here in Canada. We are in full on packing mode now, trying to organize everything before we collect Sez from the airport and embark on our big adventure throughout Canada. We can't wait to see more of this amazing country and take you all along with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment